Popular Links :
Home » , » Sunil Chhetri,the Indian player of the Year

Sunil Chhetri,the Indian player of the Year

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:56 AM


Sunil Chhetri is India's player of the year.

Chhetri was chosen by I-League coaches who voted on a shortlist of five.

The criteria for selection stated performance on the field primarily for India’s International matches and general conduct, both on and off the field.

Chhetri, 27, has scored 13 goals in 17 International matches this year, the most by any Indian footballer.

The Mohun Bagan forward was also named the man of the championship in the recently concluded SAFF Championship in New Delhi and also scored 11 goals in 20 club appearances this year.

Chhetri, who is currently out with torn ligaments in his left ankle, was ecstatic at having won the award for the second time.

"It's the highest recognition for an Indian footballer and I am honoured to receive the Award for the second time."

"At a time when I confined to my home with my plastered leg, this is perhaps, the best Christmas and New Year present."

"The year started off well for me and ends in the best possible fashion. I'm elated - at a loss of words. The award explains that I'm improving with every given day."

Chhetri's successful year started with the Asian Cup where he scored two goals.

"Looking back, it has been an excellent year for me," he said.

"A footballer always needs to constantly keep himself motivated and look eager for the next challenge. In the entire year, the moment I finished a match, I longed for the next challenge to kick-off. That explains the year for me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment